Bridges & Dentures
Bridges (fixed partial dentures) are non-removable frameworks that attach replacement teeth to healthy adjacent teeth by a “bridged” internal framework. These are a treatment option when a missing tooth (or several adjacent teeth) has healthy teeth on either side of it/them. Visually, you should not be able to tell that it is not your natural tooth, if it is done correctly. Implants can also be used to hold a bridge…
If dental disease or trauma has caused you to have few or none of your natural teeth, partial or complete dentures that fit well can give you many years of comfortable eating and look good too!! We take extra time in this Schertz dental office to fit dentures very precisely to your mouth so that you are happy with how they look, how they feel, and how they work. Implants can often be used to add additional stability to removable partial and complete dentures. (See section above on implants)
In our Schertz area dental office, complete dentures are fitted in 5 steps/appointments:
- First we take a pre-impression of your mouth. This mold of your gums starts the detailed fitting process. From this pre-impression, Dr Penshorn will make a custom impression tray that is unique to you and your bone and gum contours.
- The second step is the final impression, using the custom tray. This is done carefully with a great deal of attention to detail so that the final denture fits comfortably.
- The third step is a bite impression. This records how your jaws related to each other, how top and bottom teeth meet when you bite, how they interact when you chew and how they fit when you close your mouth. This step becomes a key factor in how the dentures function when they are in use. At this stage we also select the color and shape of the false teeth to be used, searching for the precise coloring that that will look most natural for you.
- The fourth step is a wax try-in. You will look in the mirror and analyze how they look and we will determine if the bite and chewing functions are correct before the final denture is fabricated.
- The fifth step is the delivery of the final denture. Minor adjustments will be made if needed at this appointment and in the months that follow as you get used to wearing them.