The Penshorn Dentistry Excellence in Science Scholarship
The Penshorn Dentistry Excellence in Science Scholarship is open for applications February 19-March 8, 2019 for 2019 seniors.
Dr. Penshorn graduated from Samuel Clemens High School in 1975, continuing his education at Texas A&M University('79) and the University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School in San Antonio ('82). During the past 37 years he has emphasized providing excellence in dental care as he has served the Schertz/Cibolo community. As a health care professional in the community, he desires to reward and encourage those who excel in high school science to also pursue a career of excellence in a science-related field. In 2007, he created this $2500 scholarship opportunity for local students in celebration of his 25th year in dentistry.
Application deadline is Friday, March 8, 2019, at 5 pm.
Please note that the registrars at both high schools need time to process your transcript request, so you should handle this part of the application package immediately. Applications submitted without transcripts will not be considered.
How it works
- 2019 Senior Student who attended Clemens or Steele for all of junior and senior years.
- Will complete 2 or more semesters in at least one AP/ IB science class (AP/IB test-level) within SCUCISD by graduation 2019.
- Has taken at least 2 additional full-year science classes at the dual-credit or pre-AP level within SCUCISD.
- Has a grade of 90 or above in all science classes during junior and senior years.
- Application packets will be available by February 19, 2019 for students to download and print at www.drpenshorn.com/community/scholarships. Paper copies of the application are also available at the dental office, at 2501 FM 3009 in Schertz.
- Applicants should submit their paper copy application cover sheet and questions pages (pages 2-3), along with their official high school transcript to Dr. Penshorn's dental office by 5 pm on Friday, March 8, 2019. We will not accept applications submitted online or via email. Applications received at the office after the deadline will not be considered.
- Transcripts must reflect final semester grades from Fall 2018. We suggest that you request your transcript from your school's registrar soon since those offices get very, busy this time of year.
- Students should supply the teacher recommendation form to their science teacher for completion. Teachers are requested to mail or deliver their recommendations directly to Dr. Penshorn by 5 pm on March 22, 2019.
- Dr. and Mrs. Penshorn will review applications during the month of March and schedule interviews with semi-finalists in April.
Awarding of scholarship
- Dr. Mark Penshorn will select two seniors, one from Steele and one from Clemens, to receive scholarships of $1250 each.
- All applicants will be notified by mail in early May 2019 with the results of the scholarship awards.
- Presentation of award monies will take place at a private ceremony prior to graduation. Scholarship checks will be made payable to the college or university at which the student will be enrolling in the fall.
Previous award winners are as follows:
- 2008 - Kanesha Hines (SCHS) and Sarah Harrod (SHS)
- 2009 - Alyssa DeMassey (SCHS) and Erika Sells (SHS)
- 2010 - Sandra Roberts (SCHS) and Paul Virost (SHS)
- 2011 - Cory Durham (SCHS) and Jennifer Singel (SHS)
- 2012 - Austin Nesser (SCHS) and Rachel Concha (SHS)
- 2013 - Zachary Goodall (SCHS) and Emily Helgren (SHS)
- 2014 - Noah Land (SCHS) and Emily Hecox (SHS)
- 2015 - Jonathan Mitchell (SCHS) and Katelyn Jones (SHS)
- 2016 - Sayona Land (SCHS) and Sam Helgren (SHS)
- 2017 - Christian Jacobson (SCHS) and Enrique Navedo (SHS)
- 2018 - Bailey Mosley (SCHS) and Brianna Martin (SHS)