The Penshorn Dentistry Excellence in Science Scholarship
The Penshorn Dentistry Excellence in Science Scholarship is open for applications February 20-March 19, 2018, for 2018 seniors.
Dr. Mark Penshorn, who has served patients from the Schertz/Cibolo community since 1982, will select two seniors, one from Steele High School and one from Clemens High School, to share the $2500 award ($1250 awarded to each student) which he began 10 years ago to celebrate 25 years dentistry.
This scholarship will be awarded based on recorded achievement in science classes and science-related activities during the student’s high school years, a confidential teacher recommendation, and interviews with the semi-finalists.
Dr. Penshorn graduated from Samuel Clemens High School in 1975, continuing his education at Texas A&M University and the University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School in San Antonio. During the past 35 years he has emphasized providing excellence in dental care. As a health care professional in the community, he desires to reward those who have excelled in high school science and to encourage them to also pursue a career of excellence in a science-related field.
Application deadline is Friday, March 9, 2018, at 5 pm.
Please note that the registrars at both high schools need time to process your transcript request, so you should handle this part of the application package immediately. Applications submitted without transcripts will not be considered.
How it works
- 2018 Senior Student
- Has been enrolled at Clemens or Steele for all of junior and senior years and will complete at least 4 semesters in SCUCISD at graduation.
- Will complete 2 semesters in at least one AP or IB science class in physics, chemistry or biology in SCUCISD by graduation.
- Has taken at least two pre-AP science classes.
- Has a grade of 90 or better in all science classes during junior and senior years.
- High school counselors and AP Science teachers will be notified by February 20, 2018 that the scholarship application period is opening so they can encourage students to apply.
- Application packets will be available online to students by February 20, 2018 at www.drpenshorn.com. Applications are also available at the dental office.
- Applicants should submit the application cover sheet and questions page (pages 3-4) along with their official high school transcript to Dr. Penshorn’s dental office at 2501 FM 3009 in Schertz by 5 pm on Friday, March 9, 2018.
- We will not accept applications submitted online or via email. Applications received at the office after the deadline will not be considered.
- Transcripts must reflect final semester grades from Fall 2017. We suggest that you request your transcript from your school’s registrar soon since those offices get very, busy this time of year.
- Teachers are requested to mail or deliver their recommendations directly to Dr. Penshorn by 5 pm on March 23, 2018.
- Review of applications by Dr. and Mrs. Penshorn will take place during the month of March.
- Interviews with semi-finalists from each school will be conducted in April.
Awarding of scholarship
- All applicants will be notified by mail in early May 2018 with the results of the scholarship awards.
- The Award winner will be announced at the respective graduation ceremonies for Steele and Clemens Classes of 2018.
- Presentation of award monies will take place at a separate private ceremony prior to graduation. Scholarship checks will be made payable to the college or university at which the student will be enrolling in the fall.
Previous award winners are as follows:
- 2008 - Kanesha Hines (SCHS) and Sarah Harrod (SHS)
- 2009 - Alyssa DeMassey (SCHS) and Erika Sells (SHS)
- 2010 - Sandra Roberts (SCHS) and Paul Virost (SHS)
- 2011 - Cory Durham (SCHS) and Jennifer Singel (SHS)
- 2012 - Austin Nesser (SCHS) and Rachel Concha (SHS)
- 2013 - Zachary Goodall (SCHS) and Emily Helgren (SHS)
- 2014 - Noah Land (SCHS) and Emily Hecox (SHS)
- 2015 - Jonathan Mitchell (SCHS) and Katelyn Jones (SHS)
- 2016 - Sayona Land (SCHS) and Sam Helgren (SHS)
- 2017 - Christian Jacobson (SCHS) and Enrique Navedo (SHS)